How to Choose and Wear Cologne and Aftershave Scents
There's a fine line between wearing the perfect amount of aftershave cologne and wearing too much, which can wind up repelling people instead of attracting them to you. Applying bold, manly cologne is an art, and learning how to choose and wear cologne the right way can be a challenge at first — but having this knowledge is key to an appealing, attractive scent that draws people in. This guide will help you understand how to properly apply cologne and find the best aftershave scents for your gentlemanly tastes.
How to Properly Apply Cologne
You can have the best collection of manly cologne and aftershave scents in the world, but if you don't know how to apply them properly, you'll have a hard time fully experiencing everything they have to offer. A lot of people apply colognes improperly, resulting in an overbearing smell or one that doesn't last all day long. The best way to apply cologne, especially a classic scent like Bay Rum cologne, is as follows:
- Apply cologne to clean, dry skin after showering or bathing.
- Hold the cologne bottle 3 to 6 inches away from your skin.
- Target your pulse points, such as your neck, inner elbows and inner wrists.
- Squirt 2 to 4 times.
How to Properly Wear Cologne
Applying cologne the right way is only half the battle — and now that you understand the "do's" of wearing your chosen scent, you also need to know the "don'ts." For example, it's better to spray cologne on your skin rather than on your clothing, since this will allow the aroma to mix with the oils and natural pheromones of your body. St Johns Bay Rum fragrances are formulated based on contact with the skin, so applying them directly to your pulse points as we recommended will help project the notes properly for an authentic scent.
Here are some additional tips on wearing manly cologne to help enhance the aroma and experience:
- Pick one or two target areas to apply your aftershave cologne (such as the pulse points).
- Aim for the skin, not your clothing.
- Avoid spraying the air and walking through the cologne.
- Don't rub the cologne into your skin.
- Lightly mist your wrists when you notice the fragrance starting to wear off.
- Choose cologne fragrances from trusted names that offer the ideal percentage of aroma.
How to Choose Cologne
You know how to apply it and you know how to wear it — now it's finally time to choose your cologne. Finding the right cologne can be the most difficult part of the process since there are so many options out there (although not all of them are good). The best way to ensure that you get quality cologne and aftershave scents is to stick with reputable brands that are staples of the industry. This will make it easier to avoid cheap colognes that don't provide the aromatic essence or experience you're looking for.
Use these tips to choose cologne fragrances that are masculine and long-lasting:
- Choose a higher concentration of fragrance for a long-lasting scent.
- Avoid colognes designed for mass consumption — they usually offer softer, more generic scents.
- Niche colognes, such as St Johns Bay Rum Cologne for men, offer more unique scents designed for a specific category of people — our Bay Rum colognes in particular are designed for the sophisticated man.
- When testing aftershave cologne in person, spray it on a sample card to get a feel for the scent. If you enjoy it, spray it on your wrist to see how the fragrance mixes with your pheromones.
- Smell coffee beans in between each scent to reset your nose.
- Understand how the different fragrance notes work:
- Top notes last up to two hours
- Mid notes last up to five hours
- Base notes last up to eight hours and beyond
Shop St Johns Bay Rum for the Perfect Manly Cologne for You
St Johns Bay Rum has created the best aftershave and cologne scents for men for the past 70 years. Generations of gentlemen (and their ladies) have enjoyed our distinguished colognes, which are handcrafted with superior ingredients and quality to ensure an authentic, masculine, and sophisticated scent with every bottle. Shop all of our top fragrances for men to find aftershave scents that emit perfect hints of Caribbean spice, citrus and sea for a timelessly unique aromatic experience.