Each year we find stories published proclaiming to be THE “Top Holiday Tunes of All Time” or THE “Best Christmas Songs Ever”. I don’t think I know or could begin to list the best holiday tunes ever recorded but I can recommend a bunch of really great tunes that will make your holiday more joyous, more lively, more souful.
- Soulful Christmas by James Brown – lets kick-off the list with The Godfather of Soul and start groovin’ at Christmas Time. Remember James Brown loves you.
- Alternate: Santa Goes Straight to the Ghetto.
- O Holy Night by Musiq Soulchild – this version has a bit of the Caribbean back beat but Musiq adds a touch of gospel vocal styling to round it all out.
- Christmas Blues by Bob Dylan – Dylan does his best to put a joyful twist on a rather sad story. And you can actually understand his vocals.
- Christmas in LA by Vulfpeck – a bumpin’ electronic dominated dance beat tune by a group often wrongly identified as a German “House Music” group. In fact, they are classically trained musicians from the University of Michigan.
- Christmas Time Comes but Once a Year by Joe Bonamassa – hard rockin’ blues with Joe stabbing the tune with his lethal guitar and supported by blasts of brass. This one will get you dancing around the eggnog bowl.
- Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano – if this Merry Christmas song doesn’t ring around your head for the next 2 days then bah humbug on you.
- Cool Yule by Louis Armstrong – a classic by a classic.
- Merry Christmas, Baby by Elvis with Gretchen Wilson – as soulful a holiday tune as there is. Say what you will about The King but he could croon like none other.
- Winter Wonder Land by Snoop Dogg and Anna Kendrick – these two make a nice pair and created a joyful duet – with a heavy beat and rap cadence. Kinda fun.
- Alternate: Doggy Dogg Christmas
- One Little Christmas Tree by Stevie Wonder – a short and simple song about a lonely tree that brings such joy to a home. Stevie’s youthful voice is so sharp and clear that he makes you sing along with him.
This is not the definitive list of uplifting Christmas songs but it’s a list that I enjoy. And I hope that you do as well.